Hubert J. Byrd Sr. Scholarship
The scholarship was established in memory of Hubert J. Byrd Sr., a prominent and highly respected soil scientist. By encouraging undergraduate students to major in soil science degree programs, the scholarship will help recruit top students into nationally recognized soil science programs to meet the expanding and diverse needs of this field. The SSSA Consulting Soil Scientists Division encourages soil science graduates to pursue a career in the field of professional consulting soil science to meet the various public needs and practical applications of this science. Funds for the scholarship are made available by the Agronomic Science Foundation and administered by the Soil Science Society of America. Two scholarships will be offered in the amount of $1000 each.
Nominations Opened: Feb 5, 2015 - 8:00 AM CST
Nominations initiated by: Apr 7, 2015 - 11:59 PM CDT
2 Reference Letters and Final Nomination submission by: Apr 16, 2015 - 11:59 PM CDT
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a nominator for this award.
- This award allows self-nominations.
- Former recipients of this Award are not eligible.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a nominee for this award.
- The program is open to undergraduate students with a declared major in soil science or closely related soil science degree program, and who have completed their sophomore or junior years by the end of spring term of the year in which they are submitting a scholarship application.
- The program is also open to undergraduate students completing their senior year by the end of spring term of the year in which they are submitting a scholarship application and are pursuing a Masters degree.
- Nominees will have earned a 2.5, or above cumulative grade point average (GPA, based upon a 4.0 GPA system) at the time the application is submitted.
- Nominees should have strong interests in science and business, and practical applications of their knowledge and skills.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a reference for this award.
Current School and/or Acceptance School (graduate students)
Anticipated Graduation Date
Letter of Interest
State your background, strengths and accomplishments, history of community and extracurricular activities, interests in sciences and particularly soil science, significant work or volunteer related experience, and future career goals. (Character Limit, including spaces: 6000)
Include your past to present GPA, declared major, current school and/or acceptance school, work experience, volunteer work, extracurricular activities, membership, and/or hobbies. (Character Limit, including spaces: 6000)