Soil Science Industry and Professional Leadership Award
This award is presented in recognition of excellence in creating programs, practices, technology, or products which contribute to the significant enhancement of soil, through soil, environmental, natural resource, agricultural, and related sciences by a practicing private or governmental sector individuals (excluding university and extension sectors). Emphasis on the individuals’ furtherance of SSSA goals, community service, professionalism, integrity, and public service will be evaluated. The aim is to recognize the creation of outstanding service and leadership outside of SSSA by industrial, private, and governmental employees. The award consists of a certificate, a complimentary ticket to the award ceremony, and $1,000.
Creation of programs and technology that extends beyond SSSA and to the development, advancement, and application of programs and technologies applied to improving environmental quality; agricultural productivity and profitability; or promotion and support of the soil, environmental, and agricultural science professions.
- Includes the candidate’s professional activities’ impact on communities; and magnitude of influence on the success of related organizations or company programs in their field
- Exceptional candidates will demonstrate creativity in professional service and support of the goals of SSSA
- Creation of unique new relationships, rather than the variety of activities, is the major consideration
- Leadership, innovativeness and excellent citizenship as evidenced by community service; effectiveness in public relations, educational or administrative activities designed to promote the effective use of soil science by the public; service and excellence in communications to the public concerning the application of soil science; and leadership and service in the advancement of sound practices in soil science and the standing of the profession also will be taken into consideration
Nominations Opened: Feb 1, 2017 - 8:00 AM CST
Nominations initiated by: Mar 29, 2017 - 4:00 PM CDT
3 Reference Letters and Final Nomination submission by: Apr 5, 2017 - 4:00 PM CDT
- Nominators are required to be SSSA members.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a nominator for this award.
- Former recipients of this Award are not eligible.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a nominee for this award.
- Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination.
- Nominees are to be soil scientists, but membership in SSSA is not a requirement.
- Nominees must be active within the industrial, private, or governmental sectors. Individuals employed by any colleges or universities are not eligible for this award.
- The nomination must be based in context to the nominee’s contributions within the past 10 years.
- Teams are eligible if the following qualifications are met: 1. At least one member of the team is a soil scientist. 2. Where other disciplines are represented, the soil scientist will be a major contributor (50% or more) to the team effort. 3. Only publications where all team members are authors or honors and awards received by the team will be listed. Individual efforts should be omitted.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a reference for this award.
Current Position Title
Current Position Title
Professional Positions Held
(Character Limit, including spaces: 2000)
List membership in professional, honorary, and academic societies. (Character Limit, including spaces: 1500)
Honors and Awards
List honors and awards received (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
Service and Extension-type Contributions
List service and extension-type contributions (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
Professional Contributions Listing
Identify and briefly list the nominee's technical and nontechnical publications, patents, and efforts to develop or improve programs, practices, and products. List up to 12 of the most significant professional contributions of the nominee. (Character Limit, including spaces: 4500)
Contributions and Service to the Profession
Describe the nominee's professional contributions (other than publications) and service to the profession on which the nomination is based and specific to the Soil Science Industry and Professional Leadership Award. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3500)
In this section, summarize the primary achievements and evaluate the nominee's comprehensive skills, competencies, and qualifications for this award. Give the nominee's impact in one or more of the evaluation criteria in the award description. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3500)