Don and Betty Kirkham Soil Physics Award
The Don and Betty Kirkham Soil Physics Award is designed to recognize a mid-career soil scientist who has made outstanding contributions in the areas of soil physics. This award is supported by the Don and Betty Kirkham Fund established through the Agronomic Science Foundation and administered by the Soil Science Society of America. The award consists of a certificate, an engraved bronze medal, and $2,000.
- Significance and originality of basic and applied research in soil physics
- Quality and impact of teaching soil physics at undergraduate and graduate levels
- Total impact of contributions on soil science and other fields, nationally and internationally, as well as on the world community at large
Nominations Opened: Feb 1, 2017 - 8:00 AM CST
Nominations initiated by: Mar 29, 2017 - 4:00 PM CDT
3 Reference Letters and Final Nomination submission by: Apr 5, 2017 - 4:00 PM CDT
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a nominator for this award.
- Nominators are required to be SSSA members.
- Nominees are not required to be SSSA members.
- The award is intended for persons in mid-career. After achieving a formal education, a person completing at least three years of professional activity in her or his focused field of study and not yet be retired from professional employment is considered mid-career.
- Former recipients of this Award are not eligible.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a nominee for this award.
- Members of this SSSA Awards Committee, the SSSA Board of Directors, and also the ASA Executive Committee are not eligible to be a reference for this award.
Current Position Title
Current Position Title
Professional Positions Held
(Character Limit, including spaces: 2000)
Year of Final Academic Degree
Enter the four-digit year of the nominee's final academic degree. The award is intended for individuals in mid-career.
List research contributions. a. Provide listing and evaluation of basic and/or applied research activities with emphasis on significance, impact, originality, creative reasoning. b. Other related research activities. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
List membership in professional, honorary, and academic societies. (Character Limit, including spaces: 1500)
Honors and Awards
List honors and awards received (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
Contributions to the Profession
Describe the nominee's professional contributions (other than publications) on which the nomination is based and specific to the Don and Betty Kirkham Award. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
List (a) courses taught, dates, and approximate enrollments; (b) an evaluation of teaching effectiveness and teaching contributions; and (c) approximate number of students trained. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
Service to the Society
List service to the Society. Include national, regional, and state activities, i.e., appointed positions, elected position, other service. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)
Professional Contributions Listing
Identify and briefly list the nominee's technical or nontechnical publications, patents, and efforts to develop or improve programs, practices, and products. List up to 12 of the most significant professional contributions of the nominee. (Character Limit, including spaces: 4500)
In this section, summarize the primary achievements and evaluate the nominee's comprehensive skills, competencies, and qualifications for this award. Give the nominees impact in one or more of the evaluation criteria in the award description. (Character Limit, including spaces: 3000)