Glossary of Soil Science Terms
Browse the Glossary
Search the Glossary
Conversion Factors for SI and non-SI Units
- Units of length, area, volume - PDF
- Units of mass, yield and rate, specific surface, and pressure - PDF
- Units of density, temperature, energy, work, quantity of heat, transpiration and photosynthesis, and plane angle - PDF
- Units of electrical conductivity, electricity, magnetism, water measurement, concentrations, radioactivity, and plant nutrient conversion - PDF
Dictionary File for Microsoft Word
Directions: Save the file below in the same directory as Microsoft Word's 'custom.dic' file and the Internet Glossary of Soil Science Terms will be available for use by Microsoft Word.
*Tip: Use your operating system's Find Files/Folders search feature to locate 'custom.dic' file if you are unsure of its location on your computer.
Right click on this link and save this file as described above.
Tables, Figures & Appendix
- Table 1. Terms for describing consistence (rupture resistance) of blocklike specimens - PDF
- Table 2. Pore size classification - PDF
- Table 3. Classification of rock fragments - PDF
- Table 4. Shapes and size classes of soil structure - PDF
- Table 5. Soil water terminology - PDF
- Figure 1. Graph showing the percentage of sand, silt, and clay in the soil texture classes - PDF
- View the appendix
Revision of Glossary of Soil Science Terms
Please note that the glossary is going through a major revision. Please check back for the updated version.