Dr. J. Edward Surbrugg
Tetra Tech. EM, Inc.
Senior Soil Scientist
- Tetra Tech. EM, Inc. (Jan 2014)
- Tetra Tech. EM, Inc.
- American Society of Agronomy, 22 Years
- Soil Science Society of America, 21 Years
- Certified Professional Soil Scientist
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), North Carolina State University, 1992, Soil Science
- Master of Science (MS), Montana State University, 1982, Land Rehabilitation
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Colorado State University, 1979, Range Ecology
Divisions of Interest
- SSSA Consulting Soil Scientists Division
- SSSA Soil Physics and Hydrology Division
- SSSA Forest, Range & Wildland Soils Division
- SSSA Wetland Soils Division
Areas of Expertise
- Soil and Waste Management
- Hazardous Waste Management, Waste Management
- Soil Physics
- Surface Mine Reclamation
More About Me
Dr. Surbrugg has 30 years of professional experience in the areas of mined-land rehabilitation, soil science, range ecology, environmental impact analysis, wastewater treatment, and wetlands delineation and mitigation design. Dr. Surbrugg is the Operations Manager for the Helena and Troy, Montana offices with responsibility for 35 technical and administrative personnel. For the last 20 years, Dr. Surbrugg has managed and completed technical superfund and mine reclamation work under contracts with the Montana Department of Environmental Quality, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Forest Service, and Bureau of Land Management. He also provides technical expertise for completing environmental impact assessments, characterization of contaminated soils, and evaluation of impacts to soils and vegetation resources. As a wetland specialist, Dr. Surbrugg has delineated wetlands and non-wetland waters of the U.S. in numerous states as well as prepared the wetland identification, delineation, and mitigation sections for U.S. Department of the Navy (Navy) bases, proposed mining projects, and petroleum pipelines. Dr. Surbrugg is a certified Professional Soil Scientist through the National American Registry of Certified Professionals in Agronomy, Crops, and Soils.