Officers and Advisors
2018 National Officers
Left to Right: Elora Ellison: Recording Secretary, Melanie Bennet: Corresponding Secretary, Michael Geissinger: Member Relations, Katelyn Fritz: President, Jamila Murchison: Vice President
Congratulations to our 2018 National Officers!
President - Katelyn Fritz, Iowa State University
Vice President - Jamila Murchison, Auburn University
Member Relations - Michael Geissinger, Iowa State University
Corresponding Secretary - Melanie Bennet, Iowa State University
Recording Secretary - Elora Ellison, West Texas A&M
Officers are elected annually by participating SASES clubs at the SSSA, ASA, and CSSA Annual Meetings. They each serve a one-year term.
Being a National Officers is a team effort. The officers meet every month by phone to discuss the SASES program. They accept new clubs into SASES, find and book keynote speakers for the Annual Meeting, determine the host school of the Spring Meeting, and work to make SASES better overall. Officers may also collaborate on other projects of their choosing. The Society staff and three National Advisors are there to support and assist the National Officers however needed.
View the links on to the right for details on elections.
Each National Officer also has official duties specific to their position. The general duties break down as follows:
- Organizes the monthly meeting
- Sends a survey to get members' availability
- Picks a time and invites committee members
- Adds items to the agenda
- Presides over National Meetings (Spring and Annual)
- Assigns volunteers to committees based on preferences
- Communicates with all committees
- Presides over National Meetings in President's absence
- Updates Facebook and Twitter
- Submits stories to CSA News
- Submits updates for bi-weekly Newsflash
- Coordinates any SASES publications or newsletters
- Sets a generic agenda and share with committees before the meeting
- Sends out minutes from each meeting
- Keeps track of delegates at National Meetings when attendance or voting is needed
- Communicates with existing and potential clubs
- Presents new club petitions at the business meeting
- Sends renewal form to clubs
If you still have questions about specific officer positions, please contact the current officers for more information.
All candidates must submit a profile before the election. This allows delegates and other students to learn more about each candidate prior to the election. Candidates profiles will be posted before the preliminary election.
If you don't want to be a National Officer, but still want to help out - volunteer to be on a committee. Committee members help organize and run contests at the Annual Meeting, find entertainment for the socials, announce winners, and help the National Officers by coming up with ideas to make the program better. The sign-up for committee volunteers is now open. Committee members will be appointed by the National Officers based on the volunteer's preferences.
SASES Elections Documents and Information
- New - 2017 SASES Elections Procedure
- Officer Position Descriptions
- Officer Profile Form
- 2017 SASES Delegate Information
- Committee Descriptions
- SASES Student Officers
- SASES National Student Advisory Committee
- View Profiles of SASES Candidates for National Office
2018 Spring Meeting
The 2018 Spring Meeting will be hosted by the University of Lincoln-Nebraska April 12-14, 2018. Check out their website for more information here.