5585 Guilford Road • Madison, WI 53711-5801 • 608-273-8080 • Fax 608-273-2021
Twitter | Facebook | RSS News Release Feed
Contact: Susan V. Fisk, Public Relations Director, 608-273-8091, email@example.com
Why is my basement wall cracked?
Oct. 2, 2017 – Basement walls crack for a variety of reasons. The Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) October 1 Soils Matter blog post explains how they form—and which ones to be wary of.
“Most basement wall cracks can change seasonally, depending on where you live,” says Christina Hebb, a soil scientist with Duraroot. “Water is the threat to the foundation.”
Whether you’re building a new home or if you’re a long time homeowner, there are several questions you may need to ask yourself about your basement foundation:
- How do I know if I need a foundation repair?
- Can I prevent a water issue?
- Do I live in an area where expanding soils occur?
- Does the climate vary significantly from season to season?
- Should I install drain tiles to help deal with excess water around my basement?
- What is the capacity of my sump pump?
- What type of crack am I dealing with?
To read the entire blog post, visit
Follow SSSA on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SSSA.soils, Twitter at SSSA_Soils. SSSA has soils information on www.soils.org/discover-soils, for teachers at www.soils4teachers.org, and for students through 12th grade, www.soils4kids.org.