5585 Guilford Road • Madison, WI 53711-5801 • 608-273-8080 • Fax 608-273-2021
Twitter | Facebook | RSS News Release Feed
Contact: Susan V. Fisk, Public Relations Director, 608-273-8091, email@example.com
Soil Science Society of America announces 2013 award recipients
Award Contact: Sara Uttech, Senior Manager–Governance & Membership, 608-268-4948, firstname.lastname@example.org
MADISON, WI, OCTOBER 1, 2013 – The Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) announces the following 2013 awards to be formally presented at the SSSA Awards Ceremony on Nov. 4 during the scientific society’s Annual Meeting in Tampa, FL. The annual awards are presented for outstanding contributions to soil science through education, national and international service, and research.
- Daniel R. Ferreira, Southern Polytechnic State University - Emil Truog Soil Science Award: Dan Ferreira is an assistant professor at Southern Polytechnic State University in Marietta, GA. He received a B.S. from the University of California-Davis and M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut.
- Joshua L. Heitman, North Carolina State University - SSSA Early Career Professional Award: Josh Heitman is an associate professor in the Soil Science Department at North Carolina State University. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees from Kansas State University, and Ph.D. degree from Iowa State University.
- Steven R. Evett, USDA-ARS - Don and Betty Kirkham Soil Physics Award: Steven R. Evett is acting research leader with the USDA-ARS Soil and Water Management Research Unit, Bushland, TX. He received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Arizona and a B.S. degree from the University of Idaho.
- Laj Ahuja, USDA-ARS - International Soil Science Award: Laj Ahuja is a soil scientist and research leader of the USDA-ARS, Agriculture Systems Research, Fort Collins, CO. Laj develops and applies models of agriculture systems to enhance field research and create simpler management aids.
- Robert Malone, USDA-ARS - L.R. Ahuja Ag Systems Modeling Award: Rob Malone is a research agricultural engineer with the National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment at USDA-ARS in Ames, IA. He received a B.S. degree from West Virginia Wesleyan University, and M.S. And Ph.D. degrees from the University of Kentucky.
- Balwant Singh, University of Sydney - Marion L. and Chrystie M. Jackson Soil Science Award: Balwant Singh is an associate professor in soil chemistry in the faculty of Agriculture and Environment at the University of Sydney. His research focuses on solving environmental problems using soil chemistry and mineralogy expertise.
- David J. Mulla, University of Minnesota - Soil Science Applied Research Award: David Mulla is a professor and Larson Chair for Soil and Water Resources in the Deptartment of Soil, Water, and Climate at the University of Minnesota. He received a B.S. degree from the University of California-Riverside, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Purdue University.
- Darrell W. Nelson, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Soil Science Distinguished Service Award: Darrell W. Nelson is dean of research emeritus and professor of agronomy emeritus at the University of Nebraska. He previously served as president of the Soil Science Society of America and the American Society of Agronomy.
- Robert L. Rhykerd, Illinois State University - Soil Science Education Award: Rob Rhykerd is a professor of agronomy and chair of the Department of Agriculture at Illinois State University. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees from Purdue University and a Ph.D. from Texas A&M University.
- Jacob T. Isleib, USDA-NRCS - Soil Science Industry and Professional Leadership Award: Jacob Isleib is a soil scientist with USDA-NRCS at the Tolland Connecticut MLRA Soil Survey Office. He received his B.S. degree from North Carolina State University.
- Lindsay P. Reinhardt, USDA-NRCS - Soil Science Industry and Professional Leadership Award: Lindsay Reinhardt is an MLRA Soil Scientist with the USDA-NRCS in Aurora, IL. She received her B.S. from the University of Illinois.
- Richard K. Shaw, USDA-NRCS - Soil Science Industry and Professional Leadership Award: Richard K. Shaw is the State Soil Scientist for the USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service in New Jersey. He received a B.S. degree from the University of Maine, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Rutgers University.
- Scott Fendorf, Stanford University - Soil Science Research Award: Scott Fendorf is the Huffington Professor of Earth Science and Chair of the Earth System Science Department at Stanford University. He received his B.S. from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, his M.S. from UC Davis, and his Ph.D. from the University of Delaware.
- Mark D. Tomer, USDA-ARS - America/New Zealand Soil Science Professional Exchange Award: Mark Tomer is a Research Soil Scientist at the USDA/ARS National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment in Ames IA. He received his B.S. degree from the University of Montana, M.S. degree from Montana State University, and Ph.D. degree from the University of Minnesota.
- Samantha S. Shoaf, Oklahoma State University - ASA, CSSA, SSSA Congressional Science Fellow: Samantha Shoaf is an assistant professor in the Plant and Soil Sciences department at Oklahoma State University. She received a B.S. from the University of Florida and a Ph.D. from Purdue University. As the Congressional Science Fellow, she worked on agriculture and nutrition issues for Senator John Thune.
- April L. Ulery, New Mexico State University - ASA, CSSA, SSSA Mentoring Award: April Ulery is a professor of soil science in the Plant and Environmental Sciences Department at New Mexico State University where she teaches and conducts research in environmental soil chemistry. She received a B.S. degree in geology from University of Redlands and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in soil science from the University of California-Riverside.
- Diana H. Wall, Colorado State University - SSSA Presidential Award: Diana Wall is University Distinguished Professor, Director, School of Global Environmental Sustainability, Professor, Biology and Senior Scientist, NREL at Colorado State University. Her B.A. and Ph.D. are from the University of Kentucky.
- Sonny Ramaswamy, USDA-NIFA - SSSA Presidential Award: Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy is the Director of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA, appointed by President Obama in 2012. He oversees a range of extramural research, education, and extension projects that address the needs of farmers, ranchers and agricultural producers.
An electronic version of this News Release is posted to: acsmeetings.org/newsroom/award-news-releases.
For more information on the 2013 ASA awards, including award descriptions, visit: www.soils.org/awards/view or contact Sara Uttech, Senior Manager–Governance & Membership, 608-268-4948, email@example.com. Photos of the recipients receiving their awards will be posted to our Newsroom page following the Annual Meetings: acsmeetings.org/newsroom/award-news-releases. For more information on the 2013 Annual Meetings, visit: www.acsmeetings.org.